Go Back   SectionV Talksback > Football > Football - General

Football - General

Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
noonereal
AGR Team
Section 5 Fan

Coach Gets Fired - What Do You Think?

http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/maxwir...f-teammate.htm

Short version - a multi-sport football player tells the coach he'll miss a league game Saturday to go to a baseball event where college coaches will be in attendance. The coach says he'll have to quit the team to do that. 11 other players walk out in support of their teammate, so the school fires the coaches.

So, what do you think?
noonereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
toadhead25
AGR Team
Section 5 Fan

Very tough spot. As a coach you have an obligation to your team. You need to do what u can to put the most competitive team on the field and to promote dedication to the team. That said............we have to look at why we work with high school student athletes. We try to prepare them for the next level of life either on the field or in a classroom. If they have an opportunity to possibly showcase their talents, we have to look at it as an acceptable reason to miss a game. We are there for them, not the other way around.
toadhead25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
EaglePride
All-State Pick
Section 5 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadhead25 View Post
Very tough spot. As a coach you have an obligation to your team. You need to do what u can to put the most competitive team on the field and to promote dedication to the team. That said............we have to look at why we work with high school student athletes. We try to prepare them for the next level of life either on the field or in a classroom. If they have an opportunity to possibly showcase their talents, we have to look at it as an acceptable reason to miss a game. We are there for them, not the other way around.
Well stated, could not agree more.
EaglePride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
HoosierDaddy
AGR Team
Section 5 Fan

The Coach Made A Mistake There

The mistake the coach made was telling the player he had to quit. That is a lose-lose for all involved. If the kid made the decision to miss an in-season game for a non-school event that is his choice. The all or nothing approach certainly didn't work in this case.

I had a player whose passion was bull riding. We spoke early in the season and he told me that he would miss a game due to a rodeo. I was fine with that because he came to me man to man and discussed the situation. I made it clear that he would lose his starting position when he came back and would have to re-earn it. He respected that and all was well. The team was kept in the loop and some other guys picked up his minutes and were rewarded for their dedication. When he returned from the trip he eventually did earn his starting position back. This bull riding young man is one of my favorite kids ever and I wish I had more like him over the years.

Lastly, coaches have to understand that kids may not love the sport as much as the coach does. They may have other passions and may need to explore those during the season. If the lines of communication stay open and you lay out your expectations and the consequences for missing time, all should work out fine.
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
EaglePride
All-State Pick
Section 5 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/maxwir...f-teammate.htm

Short version - a multi-sport football player tells the coach he'll miss a league game Saturday to go to a baseball event where college coaches will be in attendance. The coach says he'll have to quit the team to do that. 11 other players walk out in support of their teammate, so the school fires the coaches.

So, what do you think?
I read the article but did not see that the coaches were fired. Is there another article?
EaglePride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Hornell4Life
AGR Team
Section 5 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride View Post
I read the article but did not see that the coaches were fired. Is there another article?
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/03/487...k=omni_popular

Enjoy,
Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
junk yard dawg
All-State Pick
Section 5 Fan

Bad Move...

I believe the Varsity Baseball Coach should've stepped in , and helped the kid handle the football coach before this whole ordeal got so far out of hand. The kid was only looking out for his future, and the coach was also trying to do his job , by sending a message to the rest of his team that when its football season , they belong to him.. By firing this guy, they only showed these players that they have that much power, and everytime they don't get there way in life, they will try this quitting sh-t to get there way...Its just a messed up situation, but I feel bad for the coach. This is why some coaches are scared to do there jobs. Just like NFL, players getting coaches fired, what type of crap is that....
junk yard dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
wcountyalum
All-State Pick
Section 5 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by junk yard dawg View Post
I believe the Varsity Baseball Coach should've stepped in , and helped the kid handle the football coach before this whole ordeal got so far out of hand. The kid was only looking out for his future, and the coach was also trying to do his job , by sending a message to the rest of his team that when its football season , they belong to him.. By firing this guy, they only showed these players that they have that much power, and everytime they don't get there way in life, they will try this quitting sh-t to get there way...Its just a messed up situation, but I feel bad for the coach. This is why some coaches are scared to do there jobs. Just like NFL, players getting coaches fired, what type of crap is that....
The coach stood up and did the right thing. I can guarantee that he will pick up another position soon, not every school is a pushover.
wcountyalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
f22bomber
AGR Team
Section 5 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcountyalum View Post
The coach stood up and did the right thing. I can guarantee that he will pick up another position soon, not every school is a pushover.
Agree with alum on this. the Kid could have hit another combine on another date. They have combines every couple weeks.
f22bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
sectionvguy1
All-State Pick
Section 5 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22bomber View Post
Agree with alum on this. the Kid could have hit another combine on another date. They have combines every couple weeks.
Welcome to the 21st century HS sports
sectionvguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote